I have been burning mix CDs since before I had a music collection. I have spent more time listening to music than doing anything else in my life. All the hours of dance class for twelve years of my life were set to music, every time I did homework or went somewhere in the car, went to a concert, fell asleep. I have so much of it in my brain. In light of this life with a never-ending playlist, I decided that there's something that needs to happen.
In the middle of the woods (really it's just an area that has several trees in lieu of being an open field like most of campus) someone built a yurt for their Div III once. A yurt is this odd structure that is really just a one room circular building that can be as big or as small as you want it to be. They're actually pretty interesting. I went to a bonfire party at a yurt last fall, and living in one seemed so cozy, like living in a log cabin might be if it wasn't drafty. Anyway, this particular yurt on campus is home to Hamshire radio, which is something that doesn't really matter to anybody at all. But it streams on the internet on campus, and there are some pretty serious speakers in the yurt to broadcast to the surrounding campus. And if you get a radio show, you pretty much do whatever you want. Something I am looking forward to, because James and I are going to try to get hold of a slot on Saturday nights, because the weekends are too long here. And there's nothing like breaking up the monotony of a four day long weekend with sharing music. I cannot wait until all of this is locked down and definite.
And because I am just so gung ho right now, here is a sample playlist that I would probably most likely broadcast.
1. The Snake The Cross The Crown "The Great American Smokeout"
2. The Books "If Not Now, Whenever"
3. Metric "Torture Me"
4. Brand New "Untitled 05"
5. Son, Ambulance "Kaite Come True"
6. Charades "Bread"
7. The Raconteurs "Attention"
8. Honeyhander "Call a Spade a Spade"
9. Every Bunny Welcome "Whiskey Day"
10. The Psychedelic Furs "Dumb Waiters"
11. AMANAPLAN "Castle Wall"
12. Minus the Bear "Hooray (Dark Baby Remix)"
13. Caustic Resin "Once and Only"
14. The Kills "Kissy Kissy"
15. The White Stripes "Let's Shake Hands"
16. Tapes 'n Tapes "In Houston"
17. The Octopus Project "Porno Disaster"
18. Radiohead "Where I End and You Begin"
19. Coldplay "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face"
20. Black Forest / Black Sea "Sevastopol"
If anybody has a band they want the college kids to check out, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do about it. See you at the yurt!